By Peter Cunningham
There's a unprecedented hole within the released heritage of education within the 20th century. Nowhere is the voice of the instructor, telling his or her personal tale, broadly to be heard. This booklet, drawing not just upon the authentic documentary checklist, but in addition upon the formerly untapped memories of greater than a hundred former lecture room academics, goals to fill this hole. In changing into lecturers, the nation's academics from greater than part a century in the past inform what 20th century schooling has gave the look of and felt like from their part of the school room. The booklet concentrates fairly at the years among the tip of the 1st global battle and the passing of the landmark 1944 schooling Act. all the former country tuition academics whose testimony stands on the centre of the publication started their instructing careers during this interval, and so much accomplished the majority in their school room educating in those years.Oral testimony is determined along extra traditional documentary assets and thematic research and person existence histories are introduced jointly. during this admire, the paintings will holiday new flooring by way of its methodological process in addition to when it comes to its substantive historic issues.
Read or Download Becoming Teachers: Texts and Testimonies, 1907-1950 (Woburn Education Series) PDF
Similar history & theory books
This quantity is an try to reconsider Niccolò Machiavelli, the most tough political thinkers within the background of eu political concept. In 2013, we are going to mark 500 years seeing that Machiavelli wrote his confusing letter to Lorenzo de' Medici, Il Principe. This ebook is an undertaking to hide probably the most advanced points of Machiavelli's lifestyles and paintings
- Eric Voegelin and the Foundations of Modern Political Science
- Mikhail Bakunin : the philosophical basis of his theory of anarchism
- Political outsiders in Swedish history, 1848-1932
- A Passion For Learning: The Education Of Seven Eminent Americans
Additional resources for Becoming Teachers: Texts and Testimonies, 1907-1950 (Woburn Education Series)
128; Cortazzi, Narrative Analysis. 41. 273–80. 42. Katz, ‘Devotion and Ambiguity in the Struggles of a Poor Mother and Her Family: New York City, 1918–1919’, in Larry Cuban and Dorothy Shipps (eds), Reconstructing the. 186. 43. Marsden. 44. Himmelfarb, The New History and the Old. 45. See particularly Marc Depaepe, Order in Progress: Everyday Educational Practice in Primary Schools, Belgium, 1880–1970 (Leuven, Leuven University Press, 2000). 18 BECOMING TEACHERS: TEXTS AND TESTIMONIES 1907–1950 46.
Our current contribution to this work takes the form of an ESRC-supported oral history of the pedagogical and personal relationships established by teachers with their pupils during the collective experience of wartime evacuation throughout the Second World War, and their subsequent impact. 47. 5; also see Altenbaugh, The Teacher’s Voice; Larry Cuban, How Teachers Taught: Constancy and Change in American Classrooms 1880–1990 (New York, Teachers College Press, 1993, 2nd edn). 48. 264. ‘People have little or no experience of their teachers during youth and manhood.
13. 2. 14. Patrick Hutton, History as an Art of Memory (Hanover, NH, University Press of New England, 1993); Matt Matsuda, The Memory of the Modern (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1996); Elizabeth Tonkin, Narrating Our Pasts: The Social Construction of Oral History (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1992); Le Goff, History and Memory. 15. 585. 16. 8–9. 16 BECOMING TEACHERS: TEXTS AND TESTIMONIES 1907–1950 17. 265, 273; Scott W. Webster, ‘A Historian’s Perspective on Interviewing’, in R. Josselson, The Narrative Study of Lives Vol.
Becoming Teachers: Texts and Testimonies, 1907-1950 (Woburn Education Series) by Peter Cunningham