By Quarraisha Abdool Karim, Salim S. Abdool Karim, Cheryl Baxter
Since its inception 14 years in the past, CAPRISA has carried out a variety of medical stories that experience stimulated overseas TB-HIV remedy guidance in addition to HIV prevention via options within the microbicide and vaccine fields. This e-book offers a ancient account of the way each one of CAPRISA’s excessive influence reports was once created, constructed, applied, analysed and communicated. In doing so, the reader is taken on a trip that gives glimpses into the genesis of study rules and the way this finally ends up in a variety of HIV prevention and remedy experiences that experience impacted the worldwide reaction to the HIV and TB epidemics.
Comprised of five sections, the booklet info the following:
- HIV epidemic in South Africa and the institution of a study centre to adopt medical, epidemiological and laboratory learn on HIV.
- CAPRISA’s medical trials on HIV and HSV-2 prevention. those reviews investigated the effect of tenofovir gel as topical antiretroviral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), implementation of topical PrEP via kin making plans clinics, conditional money incentives for HIV prevention, HIV vaccines, and passive immunisation with greatly neutralising antibodies.
- CAPRISA’s examine at the remedy of HIV and TB co-infection.
- A evaluate of the foremost medical findings from the CAPRISA reports on acute an infection and genital mucosal immunology.
- Essential aid actions for the behavior of scientific trials, together with examine laboratories and pharmacies, in addition to constructing potent verbal exchange and sustainable constructions for group engagement to keep up potent and respectful partnerships with partaking groups. The e-book concludes with a bankruptcy concerning the demanding situations dealing with destiny HIV prevention and remedy trials.
The CAPRISA medical Trials: HIV therapy and Prevention is a source for undergraduate and postgraduate scholars, healthiness care prone, medical professionals, decision-makers and researchers who're looking tips and insights on medical trials – their construction, behavior and impact.
Read Online or Download The CAPRISA Clinical Trials: HIV Treatment and Prevention PDF
Best clinical books
In fresh a long time, advances in biomedical examine have helped keep or prolong the lives of youngsters around the globe. With more desirable treatments, baby and adolescent mortality premiums have reduced considerably within the final part century. regardless of those advances, pediatricians and others argue that youngsters haven't shared both with adults in biomedical advances.
Useful magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) has contributed considerably to growth in neuroscience via allowing noninvasive imaging of the "human mind at paintings" less than physiological stipulations. inside scientific neuroimaging, fMRI is establishing up a brand new diagnostic box by means of measuring and visualizing mind functionality.
Comprised solely of medical circumstances masking accidents to the proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joint, this concise, sensible casebook will offer orthopedic surgeons and hand surgeons with the simplest real-world suggestions to correctly deal with the multifaceted surgical options for administration of the PIP.
- Advances in Clinical Child Psychology
- Helicobacter pylori: Basic Mechanisms to Clinical Cure 1998
- The Surface Electrocardiography in Ischaemic Heart Disease: Clinical and Imaging Correlations and Prognostic Implications
- Microarrays in Clinical Diagnostics (Methods in Molecular Medicine)
- Dendritic Cells in Fundamental and Clinical Immunology: Volume 2
- The Visual System: Neurophysiology, Biophysics, and Their Clinical Applications
Additional resources for The CAPRISA Clinical Trials: HIV Treatment and Prevention
Women were asked to conﬁrm their involvement with other trials at screening. About 9 months into the study, one of the participants returned gel applicators to the CAPRISA pharmacy from another microbicide study (HPTN 035 trial). This trial was being conducted at a nearby site in Durban by the Medical Research Council (MRC). The participant was interviewed and she disclosed that she had not been honest during the screening and that she was simultaneously enrolled in the HPTN 035 trial that was being conducted by the MRC.
There are four different levels of blinding, each leading to more blinding than the previous. The ﬁrst is an open trial or an unblinded trial with no blinding. In such a trial both the participants and the investigators know the treatment assignment. This is the weakest form of blinding and is open to bias. In this instance participants on placebo treatments might for example not adhere to all study procedures because they know they are receiving only the placebo. In the CAPRISA 003 SAPiT study it was not possible to blind and the study was done as an open label study.
It is possible in observational studies that certain treatments are more likely to be given to more sick patients, maybe as a last resort, or maybe because the treatments have fewer side effects. This may therefore bias the results observed with the treatments in normal clinical treatment. Randomisation removes this bias. The method used to assign participants to treatment arms in a clinical trial should meet certain criteria and be able to pass monitoring. Randomisation is done using computer programs and a list of participant numbers and random assignments are generated.
The CAPRISA Clinical Trials: HIV Treatment and Prevention by Quarraisha Abdool Karim, Salim S. Abdool Karim, Cheryl Baxter