By Abdelwahab Meddeb, Benjamin Stora
This is the 1st encyclopedic advisor to the historical past of family members among Jews and Muslims around the globe from the delivery of Islam to this present day. Richly illustrated and fantastically produced, the publication good points greater than a hundred and fifty authoritative and obtainable articles through a world group of prime specialists in background, politics, literature, anthropology, and philosophy. equipped thematically and chronologically, this quintessential reference offers serious proof and balanced context for larger ancient figuring out and a extra trained discussion among Jews and Muslims.
Part I covers the medieval interval; half II, the early smooth interval throughout the 19th century, within the Ottoman Empire, Africa, Asia, and Europe; half III, the 20th century, together with the exile of Jews from the Muslim international, Jews and Muslims in Israel, and Jewish-Muslim politics; and half IV, intersections among Jewish and Muslim origins, philosophy, scholarship, artwork, ritual, and ideology. the most articles tackle significant subject matters corresponding to the Jews of Arabia on the beginning of Islam; exact profiles conceal very important members and locations; and excerpts from fundamental assets offer modern perspectives on historic events.
Contributors comprise Mark R. Cohen, Alain Dieckhoff, Michael Laskier, Vera Moreen, Gordon D. Newby, Marina Rustow, Daniel Schroeter, Kirsten Schulze, Mark Tessler, John Tolan, Gilles Veinstein, and lots of more.
- Covers the historical past of relatives among Jews and Muslims around the globe from the start of Islam to today
- Written through a world crew of major scholars
- Features in-depth articles on social, political, and cultural history
- Includes profiles of vital humans (Eliyahu Capsali, Joseph Nasi, Mohammed V, Martin Buber, Anwar Sadat and Menachem commence, Edward stated, Messali Hadj, Mahmoud Darwish) and locations (Jerusalem, Alexandria, Baghdad)
- Presents passages from crucial files of every old interval, resembling the Cairo Geniza, Al-Sira, and Judeo-Persian illuminated manuscripts
- Richly illustrated with greater than 250 photos, together with maps and colour photographs
- Includes broad cross-references, bibliographies, and an index